Monday, March 8, 2010

Personal Care Products

I sat down to write my first post, and thought to myself, I have so much information & so many ideas running through my head that I want to share with you, where should I start? There are many topics that I want to cover, I will also be doing "How to" videos but I've decided to start with Personal Care Products. That was my first lesson in "Going Green" and one of the most eye opening thus far.

So when I say, Personal Care Products, what do I mean exactly? Well, pretty much anything that you put on your body for beautification or hygiene purposes. This would include, Makeup, skin care products for the face, body lotion, shampoo & conditioner, hair products, body scrubs, baby powder, toothpaste, shaving cream, perfume, chapstick, deodorant, mouth wash, you get the idea!

Now here comes the not so good news, but don't worry I have solutions for you! Unfortunately the FDA does NOT regulate what goes into these products except for certain colorants. Products do not require pre-market approval or testing therefore, these big name companies can pretty much put what ever they want into their personal care products, including toxic ingredients.

Which ingredients should you be looking for on your product labels to avoid? There are a number of them but I will start with the most commonly seen and explain each one a bit...

1.) PROPYLENE GLYCOL - Is related to anti-freeze and is a derivative of petroleum. It is the second most common ingredient in moisturizers, aside from water. It’s linked to liver abnormalities and kidney damage, and is also a skin and eye irritant. It is found in sunscreens, moisturizers, baby lotion, antiperspirants and deodorants and shaving products. Looks like this on a label: Propylene Glycol, Proptylene Glycol, 1,2-Propanediol. Related synthetics: PEG (polyethylene glycol) and PPG (polypropylene glycol).

2.) PHTHALATES - Phthalates are estrogen-mimickers that wreak havoc on the endocrine system in the human body and cause unwelcome hormonal effects. They are mostly found in perfume or added fragrance. They have been linked to cancer and can negatively effect the nervous system. Forms of “fragrance” are in the majority of personal care products such as perfume, moisturizers, soap, shampoos and candles. Looks like this on a label: DEHP, DBP, BBP, DINP, DIDP, DNOP.

3.) FORMALDEHYDE - Often referred to as “formalin,” is used as a preservative and has been linked to cancer, developmental and reproductive problems and asthma. It has been banned in Japan and Sweden. Looks like this on a label: formaldehyde, formalin, formic aldehyde, oxomethane, oxymethylene.

4.) 5. PETROLATUM/ PETROLEUM - Although difficult to spot because of its many aliases, it’s most commonly known as petroleum jelly. It is a fossil fuel that is broken down into smaller components, which contain hydrocarbons, and is a common ingredient in beauty products. It can be found in moisturizers, conditioners, wax depilatories, baby creams and makeup. Petroleum derivatives have been linked to cancer, developmental and reproductive damage, immune system toxicity, endocrine disruption and neurotoxicity. It is banned in Europe. Looks like this on a label: petrolatum, petroleum jelly, trioxaundecanedioi acid, toluene, 4-amino-2-hydroxytuolene, BHA.

5.) COLORANTS/ SYNTHETIC COLORS - Used to create make-up shades and colors, these colorants are found in countless makeup and beauty products and are listed on labels as “FD&C” or “D&C” colors. Most colorants actually are regulated by the FDA, however, most are derived from coal tar, which has been linked to cause cancer. Looks like this on a label: D&C, FD&C.

6.) 10. SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE / SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE - Often found together in products acting as a foaming agent. It is a detergent which has been found to enter the brain, heart and liver and impairs the immune system. It also causes eye irritations and skin rashes. When mixed with other chemicals found in toiletries it can form carcinogenic (cancer-causing) compounds. It can be found in shampoos, conditioners, soaps and toothpastes. Looks like this on a label: Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate, Anhydrous Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Irium, SLS, SLES, MSDS, ALES, ALS.

7.) HYDROQUINONE – Is used as an active ingredient in over-the-counter products such as skin lighteners, hair bleaches, concealers, facial cleansers and sunscreens with SPF 15 or higher. It is related to cancer, neurotoxicity, endocrine disruption and developmental and reproductive toxicity. Looks like this on a label: 1,4-Benzenediol, 1,4-Dihydroxybenzene, P-Dioxybenzene, 4-Hydroxyphenol, P-Hydroxyphenol,1,4Benzenediol.

8.) PARABENS- Used as a preservative in lotions and other skin care products. Mimics estrogen. Some studies have shown it being linked to breast cancer tumors. Looks like this on a label: Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.


When I first learned about these harmful ingredients, I was stunned & outraged! I couldn't believe that we weren't being protected by the FDA. Shortly after the shock, I picked my jaw up off of the ground and decided to take my health into my own hands. I went into my bathroom and started to read as many labels as I could, figuring which ones I needed to ditch and which ones where still okay for Steph and I to use. Well, as I'm sure you can guess, most of them were "Gotta Go's!" My (soon to be) Mother in Law had just gotten the good word that her breast cancer was in remission and one of my best girlfriend's had just finished her struggle with cervical cancer. Both of my parents died from cancer by the time I was 20, unfortunately, it's played a big role in my life and I will do ANYTHING to protect myself, even if it's only helps by 5%. This is one of the reasons I joined Neways and also started my OWN line of toxin FREE all natural Bath and Body Products!

So what can you do to protect yourself and your family?

1.) Check your labels, if it's something you can't read, it's probably not good for you.
2.) Do some more research to find what products are natural or organic, the less chemical jargon you see, the better!
3.) Start switching out your products with healthier ones.
4.) Feel good about taking control of you and your families "personal care product" health. It's a great step in the right direction!

For further information about personal care products, their ingredients, and a list of safe products, check out this book....

http://www.amazon.com/Toxic-Beauty-Cosmetics-Personal-Products/dp/1933771623


To take a look at what Neways has to offer....

http://teamgals.ineways.com

To see my personal line of bath & body products....

http://puredecadencebyg.com


Thank you for reading, stayed tuned for some more helpful information!
Yours in good health,



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin